Dstl – the science inside UK defence and security
The Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (Dstl) is the science inside UK defence and security and at the forefront of the government’s vision for the UK to become a science superpower.
We provide impartial and evidence-driven solutions which deliver clear military and security advantage and protect the UK armed forces and people. Our expertise spans the traditional domains – land, air and sea including underwater – and extends to space and cyber.
Collaborating and partnering with academia, SMEs and prime contractors, both in the UK and with our international allies, we harness innovation and expertise through our research partnerships to solve current and future challenges. Around 40% of our work is contracted out and over the next four years we expect to spend around £1 billion with external partners.
The breadth of our work means we seek partnerships not just with scientists and engineers but a complete array of specialists, from analysts and computer modellers to materials and electromagnetic experts. Opportunities, therefore, exist for suppliers of all sizes, from large established defence contractors through to innovative SMEs. Click here to discover the different ways to work with us and details of our SME initiative Searchlight.
Why work with us?
- work with world-class scientists and technologists at the cutting edge of innovation
- benefit from increased funding from Government
- gain access to state-of-the-art facilities for development and testing
- retain intellectual property rights, boosting longer-term prosperity
- test and improve concepts with input from potential users/customers
- benefit from the experience and expertise of our framework supply partners
Dstl is based largely in the south of England with around 4,500 staff working across four sites; Porton Down, near Salisbury, Portsdown West, near Portsmouth, Fort Halstead, near Sevenoaks, and Alverstoke, near Gosport.
Central enquiries +44 (0)1980 950000